Free Rise

You have questions or need help around BierBot Bricks - this is the right place.
Chuckg

Free Rise

Post by Chuckg »

Surprisingly no more comment or question for the first brew. I do have one for fermentation.

The recipe I am using calls for "Ferment at 67°F (19°C) for the first day of activity, then allow the temperature to free rise to 72°F (22°C)."

When setting up the fermentation recipe, I don't see an option for free rise. Would it be possible to add that? I don't want my heater to kick in and heat to 72 (22). I would want only the cooling to keep the fermentation temp below 72 (22) at that second step.

Thanks,
Chuck
Bernhard
Site Admin

Re: Free Rise

Post by Bernhard »

Hi Chuck,

glad to hear there were no other questions :)

Regarding free rise: I'll add the feature to the backlog. Until it's implemented, you can help yourself by setting the "hysteresis" on the device to a large value.

Cheers,
Bernhard.
Chuckg

Post by Chuckg »

Hysteresis for heat is limited to 3. I need to free rise from 67 to 72. Guess I will shut off manual and then go auto when the temp gets closer to 72.

Also, not sure what I did wrong but in manual the graphs would only show the default time range. When I hit the icon to show a full day it just showed the default and nothing before or after

Chuck
Bernhard
Site Admin

Post by Bernhard »

Hey Chuck,

the manual mode does not record any data ("when historic values are not needed", see https://docs.bierbot.com/using-bricks/the-manual-mode). For long time tracking and log recording you need to start a brew.

Manual mode ist supposed for "boring" stuff such as keeping a freezer at a constant temp for a very long time, or preheating your sparge water.

Cheers,
Bernhard.
Chuckg

Post by Chuckg »

Bernhard,

FIrst, having the gravity show now is awesome. I do most my fermentation by gravity and attenuation.

Wanted check how far up the backlog. My current work around has been edit the fermenter to remove the heating or cooling device depending on Free Rise or Free Fall. But, I have to start data collection over. If you haven't already started on it, maybe something as simple as a checkbox to "include heating" and "include cooling" in the step. Check by default, but if you uncheck it the setting for that actuator does not get sent.

Lots of cool changes. I see you are on BrewFlasher now, very cool. Keep up the good work.

Chuck
Bernhard
Site Admin

Post by Bernhard »

Will be part of next release (latest Sunday this week). Preview is available here.

Heating is forced to be off until temperature of the step was reached. After that, logic is as usual.

The little icon of the rising chart gives it away:
Screenshot from 2024-01-24 18-10-06.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-24 18-10-06.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
To activate, toggle in step
Screenshot from 2024-01-24 18-10-25.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-24 18-10-25.png (36.16 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
Feedback appreciated!
Chuckg

Post by Chuckg »

Awesome. Looking forward to using it.