Displaying multiple temps on Pi

You have questions or need help around BierBot Bricks - this is the right place.
Chuckg

Displaying multiple temps on Pi

Post by Chuckg »

Bernard,

I haven't even tried my pi once yet and already need to add to it. Forgot a temp sensor for the chiller plate, LOL. When you have multiple temperature sensors does the Pi GUI show them all? If not when I program my recipe, if I change the sensor will the current/target temp change to that new sensor? Currently I have just the one in the kettle. Now I am looking to add the second that really just be showing temperature of the wort coming out of the chiller plate into the fermenter.

Thanks,
ChuckG
Bernhard
Site Admin

Re: Displaying multiple temps on Pi

Post by Bernhard »

Hey ChuckG,

there will be a generic possibility to add sensors to a device to a "use me for anything" dropzone, when dropping, you can assign a label. This will then display as a number during a brew. Would that solve your problem?

Workaround until then is to create a second device and monitor the temp using the manual mode.

Cheers,
Bernhard.
Chuckg

Post by Chuckg »

The question I would have for either option would be how/where is the transfer temperature display on the Pi 7" display? I plan to run a test brew this weekend so I will be able to see what data is displayed at Mash, Boil, Transfer and Fermentation.
Bernhard
Site Admin

Post by Bernhard »

As there is almost no space on the Pi Display I'd probably implement it such that it requires a swipe to the right to display all your additional sensors. Would that work for you?
Chuckg

Post by Chuckg »

Sorry for the delay. I wanted to do the test brew to put this all in context. The additional "generic" sensors for a device would be helpful I think. That would depend on how the data from the sensor is displayed on the screen. I could see that working well with multiple temp sensors like a kettle probe and then an inline probe for recirculation. For my particular use its temp during chilling that I am watching. Perhaps a new device. Either purpose built, like chiller, or a "generic" device like what you describe for "generic" sensor. What I envision here is being able to do a recipe where after boil I have chill. The chill step is assigned to the chiller device, and that is what is on the display. This would work then for folks with chill plates, counter flow chillers, whirlpooling, or just recirculating during chilling.

I think swipe right would work for displays that are in parallel or monitor multiple feeds. Perhaps an option to "undock" those other pages and have them float on top. There might be room to have a single data feed float above the bottom corner of the graph with little impact. But I agree there is not a ton of room when using the 7".

I have some other observations and questions I will throw at you in another thread when I get the time.

ChuckG
Bernhard
Site Admin

Post by Bernhard »

Implementing it as another step after boiling is also a cool idea! Added a Feature request for that "Add new recipe step: Chilling and according devices", see https://bricks.bierbot.com/#/features