Several Random Questions for BIAB

You have questions or need help around BierBot Bricks - this is the right place.
Chuckg

Several Random Questions for BIAB

Post by Chuckg »

Good evening Bernhard,

I am finally getting back to testing my setup. Though I have another bad Power Regulator. Damn Chinese parts are garbage. I did manage to run through a few test brews for BIAB and have a few questions:

1. How do you pause to add the malt bag once at temperature?
2. How do you pause to remove the the malt bag once mash is done?
3. Is there an option for audio alarm on the Raspberry Pi brick setup? Would like to alarm when it is time add/remove malt and maybe even add hops.
4. In the boil section, what is the Isomerisation time and Isomerisation endtemperature use for and how does it work?

Thanks,
Chuck
Bernhard
Site Admin

Re: Several Random Questions for BIAB

Post by Bernhard »

Hi Chuck,

don't kill yourself ;) Regarding your questions:

1. Add a manual step, target temperature 0, circulation 0.
2. see 1
3. Currently, unfortunately not. There would be two was to implement it: An easy way (which would require the website to always be opened) and a hard way (which would require deeper integration). Unfortunately I currently don't have time for both of them. But there is a hop timing feature you can vote on.
4. These values are currently just for storing them. They will be used in a later version when Bricks will also estimate finished IBUs for you.

Cheers,
Bernhard.
Chuckg

Post by Chuckg »

Thanks Bernhard. I added the manual steps. Those did the trick so far. I am doing my first brew with the full step now.

Suggestion: Can the remaining time for the current step be added to the left of the stop/next step buttons? With all the manual steps added the mash and mash out steps are down off the screen on the Pi. It looks like there would be room between those stop/next buttons and button for adding log info.

Question: Do you have to run the actual calibration feature to get the system to actually calibrate? I am running my probe in the mash bag. Now that I am running a spare pump I am getting big overshoot due to the temp diff at the heating element under the false bottom and the malt bed in the bag. To do a calibration run I would need to have the bag and grain in, otherwise the water will just mix immediately.

Thanks,
Chuck
Bernhard
Site Admin

Post by Bernhard »

Hey Chuck,

happy to hear that.

Regarding your suggestion: You mean on the normal Automatic screen or on the fullscreen, Raspberry Pi screen?

Regarding your question: The calibration get's more precise the closer you are to your real conditions. Few ideas:

* If your equipment allows, maybe try a different position for the temperature probe.
* Also a hint: If you add multiple temperature probes to your device, their reading will be averaged. Maybe you can get closer to realitity this way.
* Overshoots can typically be reduced by bumping up the kd-setting in the controller setting. Maybe try +0.3 as a first step.

Cheers,
Bernhard.
Chuckg

Post by Chuckg »

I was thinking something like this. On my laptop this grouping looks the same except it shows the name of the step as well. I assume it is based on available window space. But having the time in this location on all three screens would be ideal when dealing with recipes with a lot of steps.
Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 11.52.38 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 11.52.38 AM.png (84.11 KiB) Viewed 1466 times

Chuck